[Lazarus] Lazarus IDE - One Hundred Papercuts

Tue Sep 8 19:17:50 CEST 2015

Hi,

Ubuntu started the "One Hundred Papercuts" project a couple years ago.
The Ubuntu "One Hundred Papercuts" definition:

  “Papercuts are fast to fix, but annoying bugs.
   Our mission is to make Ubuntu shined by reducing them.”

Wikipedia’s definition:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_cut_bug

I think something like that for Lazarus - especially the IDE - would be
super useful too.

Simple but annoying things could be fixed relatively quickly - thus
making the IDE a much more enjoyable product.

To give you an example of what I mean:

 * Procedure List window - save/restore listview column widths are not
   implemented.

 * BreakPoint list window - select a breakpoint, press DEL, now
   the focus is somewhere else, so I can't simply press DEL again
   to delete the next breakpoint.

 * Editor - no editor function (single shortcut) to duplicate a line

 * Conditional Defines dialog - tab order is wrong

 * Conditional Defines dialog - default focused button is wrong

All the above items I have already fixed locally, but there are many
more I could mention, and I'm sure you could contribute more too.

Maybe we could start a wiki page to list these "small but annoying"
niggles in Lazarus IDE. Alternatively [and probably a better idea] a new
section in Mantis could be created to track such “papercuts” and their
fixes (patches).

What’s your thoughts on this.

Regards,
  - Graeme -