[Lazarus] LGPL versions between RTL and LCL

Dmitry Boyarintsev skalogryz.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 15:22:04 CEST 2015

Hello,

I know lots of developers don't like licensing questions, but I'll ask
anyway.
Is it intended that RTL is using LGPL v2.1 as its base, while LCL is using
an earlier verions LGPL v2?

Yes, both RTL and LCL are using the same "exception" to the license, but
I'm just curious.

One (not-so) important difference between LGPL v2.1 and LGPL v2 is section
6.b)
In v2.1 it sort of implies usage of the library as dynamically
linked/loaded library rather than part of executable.
In v2 there's no such requirement at all.

Be careful, your reply might be copy-pasted by me to this wiki page
http://wiki.freepascal.org/licensing

thanks,
Dmitry