[Lazarus] Desktops and multiple source editors

Ondrej Pokorny lazarus at kluug.net
Thu Sep 10 00:42:55 CEST 2015

On 10.09.2015 00:26, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 00:13:24 +0200
> Ondrej Pokorny <lazarus at kluug.net> wrote:
>
>> 2.) The visibility is controlled by the fact if the package is open or
>> not. The desktop cannot reopen packages, obviously.It doesn't store the file info of the package. It is also not expected.
> Why not?
> The window has the name PackageEditor_ToDoListLaz, so you have the
> package name. That is all you need to load the package.
Ok, then it is possible to reopen a package. But still I don't think
reopening/closing of packages on desktop change is a good idea. A
package is kind of "project" and should be completely independent on
desktop, the same like the active LPR project is.
Imagine e.g. that you (accidentally) save a debug desktop with a
package. Should it be reopened every time you start debugging?

>> Again, the above applies to non-docked environment. Packages are a
>> problem in the docked environment. When you change the desktop, there is
>> a docked package and there is no docking information about it in the new
>> desktop, where should it be placed? IMO, it has to be detached from the
>> dock and placed in a window.
> Yes.
>
>> Now it gets closed.
> What if the package was modified?

I don't know what happens now with the closed package but the fact is
that it should not get closed.

This problem was always there. Saving/loading of the docked environment
wasn't changed. The missing functionality just came up now because the
desktops are going to be used much more often than the save/load
function from AnchorDocking.

>> Maybe it is easier to
>> disable docking capabilities for packages. Then the docked environment
>> would just ignore them.
>>
>> I am not using AnchorDocking personally so somebody else should care of
>> the problems in AnchorDocking.
> I will wait til the dust has settled.

Great, thanks!

Ondrej