[Lazarus] POFile ommission

JuuS JuuS at mykolab.ch
Thu Sep 10 21:00:20 CEST 2015

On 09/10/2015 12:15 AM, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 16:22:28 +0200
> JuuS <JuuS at mykolab.ch> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Recently got into PO files and want to translate a program.
>>
>> Turns out, however, that multi-line hints in lfm files are not brought
>> over correctly - only the first line of the multi-line hint.
>>
>> This is by design as can be seen in the Translations unit
>> TPOFile.TranslateStrings procedure in the condition:
>>
>> if SType=stLrt then (at around line 1217)
>
> Feel free to extend this to support multi line strings.

I'd already fixed my local copy of Lazarus to deal with the multi=line
hints.

After thinking about it I think I could submit a patch...just other
things in the air right now.

This is on my todo list and I will be getting to it soon...after I
figure out how to efficiently and properly deal with svn'ing and then
learning the bug reporting / patching system.

Baby steps....

But I do (I believe) have the solution.

>> Multi-Line resourcestrings from the rst files are handled fine.
>>

>> I was going to take a stab at writing some code for this but then was
>> stopped because I saw that there was some utf8 (?) translation going on
>> when the rst file is created.
>
> What do you mean?

I think that means I was confused. Let me look at the code again.

>> In a related question: Combobox contents (and I presume listbox
>> contents) are not written to the lrt files. I would find this useful
>> also as currently I have to make the combobox contents a resourcestring
>> and then assign at runtime. But maybe this is a limitation of the
>> po_file translation system itself?
>
> At the moment the IDE only translates string properties of type
> TTranslateString.
> TComboBox.Items is TStrings, which is not supported.

I will look at that also. If .po files handle contents of Tlist and
TCombobox (I don't know, haven't made test yet) it seems that would be
useful too.

Thanks Mattias,

Julius