[Lazarus] Lazarus vs Delphi - Open Tools API (OTA)

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 19:29:38 CEST 2015

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<mailinglists at geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:
> I've seen recent messages here about improvements the Lazarus IDE
> interface for 3rd party add-ons. I must admit, I did not follow it
> closely. Is Lazarus IDE also trying to be API compatible with Delphi's
> OTA (like its doing with VCL), or is that not a design goal?

I think the existing API is quite stable but the interface has been extended.
The messages you saw were about an API for IDE ToolButtons with
dropdown lists or other special treatments.
It is a good and flexible API but we did not think of Delphi OTA when
designing it. How is it done there? Should we be compatible?

Another issue is documentation. I am not even sure where this API
should be documented. Unfortunately documentation is low in the ToDo
list when adding badly missing features.
I promise to document it at some point but not yet.

Juha