[Lazarus] Storing projects in subversion (or git etc.)

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Sep 20 12:52:34 CEST 2015

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Sep 2015, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>>
>>> Looking at some projects filed away here, I find I've been inconsistent so
>>> would appreciate it if somebody could say authoritatively: what types of
>>> file should be put in a repository, and what is regenerated reliably?
>>>
>>> Obviously .lpi, .lpr, .lfm and .pas or .pp should be saved, and any static
>>> .inc files.
>>>
>>> I presume that anything machine-generated and usually put into the lib
>>> directory shouldn't be stored even if it ends up elsewhere: .ppu, .o, .a,
>>> .res, .or.
>>>
>>> What about things like .lrs and .rst?
>>
>> .rst is also regenerated, no need to store them.
>
> Thanks Michael, it was your comment about ResourceStrings that reminded me to
> ask this.
>
> What about .lrs, since it looks as though it's generated from .lfm?

It depends.

For newer lazaruses, .lrs is no longer used, since Lazarus uses the .lfm files directly for new projects.

If you have {$i something.lrs} in your sources, you'd probably better still store the .lrs in svn.

I got rid of the .lrs files a long time ago. Just a matter of replacing

{$i something.lrs}

with

{$r something.lfm}

Michael.