[Lazarus] Cross-compiling for Raspberry Pi2

Mon Sep 21 14:21:57 CEST 2015

On 2015-09-21 13:05, Michael Schnell wrote:
> To me it is a very bad idea to have the Lazarus users use completely
> different paradigms for common stuff like timers,

I don't know what Lazarus's TTimer uses in the back-end (hooks into the
GUI I presume), but FPC does includes a fptimer (which I wrote the
initial implementation of) which is thread based and doesn't require a
GUI. In my service application I used TThread to implement my own
file-system monitoring class (which is based on interval checking). I
don't consider using TThread a "different paradigm" - it's simply a
class like any other.

> You simply can always tolerate a link
> to a GUI framework an let same do it's thing, even if nobody will ever
> see it.

I wholeheartedly disagree with that! There is absolutely NO reason to
pull in the extra dependency when it is NOT needed.

I'm currently busy developing another cross-platform Daemon/Service
application. It uses multiple threads, IPC, multiple DB connections
etc... It must have absolutely *no GUI dependency*, because it must be
able to run on a truly headless server. Think Mail server, Database
server etc especially under Unix-type environments - Windows and Mac
servers are an abomination.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/