[Lazarus] Cross-compiling for Raspberry Pi2

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Sep 21 16:07:50 CEST 2015

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015, Michael Schnell wrote:

> On 09/21/2015 01:50 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> Just to be clear, using threads in this case didn't require Synchronize()
>> either - because Synchronize() is purely there for GUI apps, which this
>> wasn't.
>
> Of course it is *possible* (it even is _possible_ to code a complete
> application with a hex editor :-) ) But this is a point of view I don't share
> at all.
>
> To me it is a very bad idea to have the Lazarus users use completely
> different paradigms for common stuff like timers, Worker-Thread-responses,
> and - in the end - the makeup of a project (as a number of events scheduled
> by the infrastructure vs as a thing that needs a loop just for waiting on
> anything).
>
> Nowadays, even very small embedded boards do have GUI support. So it's not
> very important to have a NoGUI application like I did (just for fun, when I
> still had some spare time). You simply can always tolerate a link to a GUI
> framework an let same do it's thing, even if nobody will ever see it.

No. Because it will simply fail to run on a headless system.

We have countless virtual machines for webservers.
None of them has X or X libraries installed. And that is as it should be.

The software should run on those, and that will not be the case if you allow such dirty hacks.

So you are totally wrong in your argument.

Michael.