[Lazarus] Bashing the developers

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 15:57:50 CEST 2016

Regarding posts from Jürgen Hestermann.
Unfortunately this is not the first time he finds excuses to blame
Lazarus developers.
The main theme is that developers have done a poor job and did not
serve him well enough.
Earlier it was about the new Unicode support. All the work I had done
for it was irrelevant, he wanted to emphasize how poorly I had done
the job.

This all reminds me of the horrible flame wars against FPC/Lazarus
developers mostly in the forum. Many of the arguments were pure lies
meant to agitate people and it worked well because there was nothing
to stop them.
The people with admin rights were afraid to do anything because they
would get all the blame.
Things escalated into surreal proportions.
In the horrible CodeTyphon flame war I took initiative and finally the
issue calmed down. Yes, I took lots of mud on me during the process.

I have learned that no logical reasoning helps with such agitators.
We need some rules instead. This is the "home" of our project. All
important communication happens here and in the forum.
Nobody should be allowed to come here only in the purpose of attack.
For example: If I dislike some people, I don't go to their home to
attack them and shit on their floor. Instead I stay away.
The same rule should apply here. If somebody does not like us, he
should write a hate-blog or something but stay away from our home.

Every healthy and strong community needs ways to protect itself.
This project need them, too.
I know the flame-wars have caused motivation problems for developers
and maybe caused them to leave. They have also scared away potential
future contributors.
Something must be done. I myself feel strongly unmoticated after
reading the attacks.

When somebody takes the effort and contributes something, he
inherently "buys" voting power for the thing he implemented.
Then he also has moral rights to criticise the work of other
developers, but that right is not used much among the developers /
active contributors.
They understand how much it takes to contribute stuff. Why would they criticise?

Thus, I want Jürgen Hestermann to make a public apology for the
developers he has attacked here.
Further attacks should go to a personal blog somewhere. I promise to ignore it.

For future needs, do we a have a mechanism to ban people from this list?
In forum the threads can be locked, posts deleted and accounts banned.
Those tools were used at least during the CodeTyphon episode.

Juha