[Lazarus] Need feedback from Windows 64 users about GDB

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Mon Apr 18 20:30:14 CEST 2016

Since I only can test on a rather old w64 system, I would appreciate
some feedback.

First of all, nothing of this affects the issues listed here
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/GDB_Debugger_Tips#Inspecting_data_types_.28Watch.2FHint.29
On any issues listed on this page, or present in both GDB versions, do
*NOT* reply to this mail, open a new mail thread if you want to mail
about them.

Currently Lazarus w64 ships with GDB 7.3.50. This is rather old, and I
do not know how it performs on newer versions of windows.

I did run some test with several newer versions and uploaded GDB 7.7
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Windows%2064%20bits/Alternative%20GDB/

The page (in the folder GDB7.7) describes some issues that I found.
If any one likes to test this, it would be good to hear, if you find any
differences to 7.3.50. Anything that only works in 7.7? Or anything that
no longer works in 7.7

Why 7.7? Its not very new either?
Well I also tested some other versions (7.8, 7.9 and 7.11)

7.11 (at least the build I obtained / on my test platform) kept
crashing/hanging in my tests (i.e. gdb crashes, taking the entire debug
session down), so it is not usable with fpc generated exe.

7.8 and 7.9 may work, but they failed more of my tests than 7.7.  I
didnt spent the time to analyse in details what failed. (32 bit gdb have
similar issues).