[Lazarus] Xamarin becomes free and open-source

Santiago A. svaa at ciberpiula.net
Fri Apr 1 10:24:12 CEST 2016

El 01/04/2016 a las 8:58, Michael Van Canneyt escribió:

>> They are going after the whole Linux.Unix system. They want Linux
>> admins and
>> developers to realize that they can have good GUI development and
>> server-management
>> tools available on Windows and still have all the command line goodies
>> they've learned to love on Linux.
>
> I seriously doubt this will have any effect.
>
> Most (if not all) of their admin tools are GUI based. That makes
> scripting them impossibile. Which is the point of scripting.
>
> Some years ago they announced that the sever could run "without GUI".
> I think it was windows server 2012. Till you need to run an installer to
> install some software... And all windows software installers are GUI
> based.
>
> We threw out windows servers, and the admin crew is all the more happy
> for
> it, because now they can script literally everything.
>
> More importantly, windows is still a black box. Something happens, you
> get
> completely stuck. I still need to encounter the problem I cannot solve
> with
> the use of strace on linux.

Denis Kozlov is right about Microsoft is going after Linux market. Well,
not exactly Linux market, but  after "cloud" market, that is, servers
that offer internet services. Most admins of internet servers are unix
experts and not windows experts, and that is a problem for Microsoft
because it offers a whole ecosystem, not products.

What you say is right also. It is very difficult to attract unix admins
to windows world.  What Microsoft is trying to do is attract unix users
in both directions: Offer products for unix ecosystem (azure, SQL
server...) and let unix products work in his ecosystem.

I agree that is not easy. Windows has created his own set of services,
uses a strange jargon and nomenclature for services and stuff that has
been there for years in unix world. But that's its strategy: Make unix
admins a little more comfortable with windows concepts, jargon and
products. Maybe next time a unix admin faces a windows product, he won't
push for only-unix solution so hard.

And don't deceive yourself. Scripts are the most powerful solution, but
a GUI need less knowledge and expertise, so they may be cheaper in the
long run.

--
Saludos

Santiago A.