[Lazarus] Can some fix this "make" issue? Pi related.

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Apr 1 18:10:54 CEST 2016

Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> wkitty42 at windstream.net wrote:
>
>> ummm... shouldn't the compiling process use as much swap as needed if
>> real memory it too tight (aka not enough)??
>
> Yes, and that's outside the remit of Lazarus etc.
>
>> the swap size is what attracted my attention because normally swap is
>> the same or double what installed real memory is... eg: 16G RAM means
>> that 16G to 32G of swap is configured...
>
> That's at the discretion of whoever built the distro, it's only a
> convention. Check the output of  swapon -s  and monitor console output
> for kernel messages suggesting there might be a problem.
>
> In the case of Raspbian the swap is in a file rather than a separate
> partition, and I've got a vague recollection that it has to be
> explicitly enabled the first time the system is run.
>
> If swap isn't working then something at the system level is broken. Once
> I'd hit on the right binaries and sources (initially, a patched 2.6.4)
> I've had no significant problems on either Raspbian or pukka Debian
> running on either a RPi 1 or 2 (3 not tested yet), with swap on either
> card or a USB-connected Flash stick.

Using an up-to-date Debian Jessie on an RPi 2, 1Gb RAM, no swap, and
with process accounting enabled,  make clean bigide  completed without
problems.

Unfortunately I've got minimal experience of the accounting stuff and
suspect that it's showing me the memory used by the most recent
invocation of each program rather than the maximum used, e.g. ld is
showing about 25Mb which is way smaller than experience would suggest is
correct.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk