[Lazarus] Search dialog scope

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Apr 7 11:12:19 CEST 2016

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016, Ondrej Pokorny wrote:

> On 07.04.2016 9:34, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>> Did something change in the search(&replace) dialog scope handling ?
>
> I changed it a little bit to match Delphi's behavior. The reason is described
> here: http://mantis.freepascal.org/view.php?id=27039
>

>> Since some time, I must alwas set the scope to "selection", and the origin
>> 'beginning' manually. No matter where my cursor is.
>
> Strange.
>
>> I am pretty sure that before, if there is a nonempty selection, the dialog
>> would set these settings correct for me.
>
> Yes, I remember that I changed the behavior so that scope is "selection" and
> origin "from the beginning" if there is a selection in the editor.
> So exactly what you want to achieve.

But the dialog's behaviour has always been 'as in delphi' (or at least as long as I remember)
so I don't understand what you changed or why you thought it was necessary ?

>> Did something change in this regard ? What is the 'rule' that is followed
>> by the dialog ?
>>
>> If something changed, can we please get the old behaviour back somehow ?
>
> Hmmm, for me it works exactly what you want to have (I changed to this
> desired behavior).

Well. You definitely broke it, from my point of view. It used to work correct :)

> Can you be more specific about what you are doing and what the IDE does?

- Select 5 lines. (it could be 10) (shift-down, 5 times)
- Press ctrl-q a (classic shortcut for search & replace.)
- Dialog opens.
   Scope: global
   Origin: from cursor.
Just tested (again).

Tried again, but select five lines with shift-up.
So the cursor is at the start of the selection.
Same result.

I undid your revision, and then it works correct:

Dialog opens,
   scope: selected text,
   origin: from cursor.

Michael.