[Lazarus] *** GMX Spamverdacht *** help writing help [was: Re: Re: Suggestion for TRadioGroup documentation]

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Sat Apr 9 14:05:59 CEST 2016

Am 2016-04-08 um 20:36 schrieb Martin Frb:
 > On VirtualTreeView: I dont know if the Author is around, and if he could/would answer questions, or even proof read contributed docs. But if he was, then the question  "How long do you think would it take to (fully) understand" is just the wrong question. The question should be: how much time do you have? Is there a chance, that in that time you can document at least one property or method? If yes, well then start. If you get more done (now or later), then even better.

Okay.
Then please find the bug that you cannot collapse/expand nodes with the
mouse if the main column is not the most left one.
Moving this column to the left (even at runtime) makes it working again.
And please: No excuse that you have no time or such! ;-)

And believe me, I have already spend a lot of time on reading the code of
the VirtualTreeView unit (and many other units too) but it is impossible
to dig that deep into each to fully understand them.
I cannot do the documentation for every single function and concept in Free Pascal/Lazarus.
Is that a reason that I am not allowed to complain about missing documentation?

 > The problem is, everyone (including me) is very good at pointing out why someone else should do it. And everyone just keeps pointing out it needs to be done.
 > Well that is fine. Lobbying for a cause is great. But the expectations in that case must be set correct. Someone else may also have a reason not to do it.

I don't think that this is my attitude.
I just see it is a waste of time if someone is forced to read and
understand code that someone else has written (thereby
(mis-)interpreting things that the original coder already knew)
while the person who originaly wrote the code was already at that step.
Freshly after writing the code he could have written
the documentation much easier.

I know, many (most) programmers do not like writing documentations.
But leaving it to others is just that attitude that I am blamed for here.

What I would vote for is:
Do not implement any new features until all existing features are documented!