[Lazarus] Lazarus Digest, Vol 99, Issue 32

Ondrej Pokorny lazarus at kluug.net
Mon Apr 18 14:34:25 CEST 2016

On 18.04.2016 12:53, Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 04/18/2016 12:40 PM, Ondrej Pokorny wrote:
>>
>> No, the equation includes everything along with everybody's interests.
>>
>> Example:
>> You spend X hours to write documentation for A that saves Y hours to
>> Z users that otherwise had to study the code.
>> Then you can compare X to Y*Z.
>
> That was my initial proposal leading to "extremely hard to define", as
> (due to no intended and hence measurable revenue) the developers don't
> have any idea about the count of users and the effort they need to get
> their work done.

You use the word /define/ wrongly. Please see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definition . Florian gave you the exact
definition.
You probably meant it is hard to /estimate/ the unknown parameters.

Furthermore, it is wrong that a user can judge better than a developer.
The quality of a judgement doesn't depend on the role of the person.

> As an extreme you would say: no documentation at all is best, as that
> means no hours to create it and there supposedly will be at least a
> single user who is able to make some small benefit from the project
> and hence the positive ratio is infinite .

No, you are wrong. The "resulting benefit" is not taken into
consideration. You compare the times you need to get to the "resulting
benefit" once without the work X (in my example "without documentation")
and once with the work X (in my example "with documentation").

Ondrej