[Lazarus] VirtualTreeView 5.5 and binary size

Luiz Americo Pereira Camara luizamericop at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 03:06:50 CEST 2016

Sending again, in case not received in list due to recent issues

> I just switched to VirtualTreeView 5.5. Here
>
> http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=32856.0
>
> it says, that the binary would be smaller with version 5.5

The change in binary size compares with the previous LCL release so version
4.8.7 - LCL Release 4 should be smaller than version 4.8.7 - LCL Release 3

Since there's no previous 5.5 release for LCL, the comparison does not apply

> but as I now used it, the opposite is the case:
>
> With VirtualTreeView version 4.8 my program binary size was
>
> 4,792,851 bytes.
>
> After switching to version 5.5 (together with LCLextension 0.6)
>
> the binary increases to
>
> 5,962,259 bytes.
>
> Is that as expected?

With the port of 5.x Delphi branch, comes the new features but also the
increased size.

Anyway i think the increased size is too big. I will investigate to see if
is related to changes in original code or something related to the port

> I now switched back to version 4.8 and the binary is back to the smaller
> size.
>
> Together with the changes in code I would have to do and the lesser number
>
> of supported OSs I don't see any benefit in using version 5.5.

What OS does not work with 5.5?

> Are there any?

You must refer to original code documentation, which is really lacking to
describe the changes. You must dig at changes file
https://github.com/Virtual-TreeView/Virtual-TreeView/blob/master/CHANGES.txt
or in the google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/?nomobile=true#!
searchin/virtual-treeview/released|sort:relevance

Luiz