[Lazarus] translating from English to German: a naive question

duilio foschi octopushole at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 22:31:21 CET 2016

the code suggested at
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Using_Google_Translate

seems to be obsolete and did not work to me. I get error 403 (http server
unknown).

After I got a key at
https://cloud.google.com/translate/v2/getting_started
(a long and boring task)

this call worked:
https://www.googleapis.com/language/translate/v2key=MYKEY&source=en&target=de&q=hallo%20world

However the service will be free for a trial period of 60 days only. Then
the service will be billed at $20 per 1 M characters of text,  probably a
fair price.

Microsoft has a similar service which should be free for the first 2M
characters of translated text a month.

However I could not understand how to register to the microsoft cloud and
get the access key to the service. I found this paper work very vexating.
Will try again after some days' rest :)

I have a curious and probably naive question.

Say I use Google Translator from my browser and decide to translate from
English to German.

I input "hello world" in the left box, click the TRANSLATE button and can
see that the following call is issued:

https://translate.google.it/?hl=it&tab=cT#en/de/hello%20world  {1}

As a result, the German words "Hallo Welt" are displayed in the right box.

Well, if I issue the same call {1} programmatically and save the html page
to a file... the words "Hallo Welt" are nowhere to be found in the saved
HTML file !

Which magics do the google coders use in order to hide the German
translation ?

Is there a way to dig the German translation from the HTML page ?

Thank you

Peppe