[Lazarus] IDE Desktops redesign

Ondrej Pokorny lazarus at kluug.net
Fri Feb 26 07:01:51 CET 2016

According to some recent discussions and bug reports, I plan to rework
the Desktops feature in the IDE. Before I again get a "Please stop the
IDE regressions!" messages, I decided to announce and discuss the topic
in the mailing list in advance.

The redesign will include the following points:

1.) Removal of IDE Options -> Environment -> Windows -> Window Positons.
Why: The desktop features duplicate "Restore window geometry" and
"Custom window geometry" settings. The other two settings ("Let
windowmanager decide" and "Fixed default geometry") seem useless for me.
The options also conflict with Desktop window layout.
Column widths and other window layout settings will be saved through new
generic interface.

2.) Moving options that are saved in the desktop into new IDE Options
category "Desktop" (within the same IDE Options dialog).
"Environment -> Window" :: "Desktop -> Window"
"Environment -> IDE coolbar" :: "Desktop -> IDE coolbar"
"Environment -> Editor toolbar" :: "Desktop -> Editor toolbar"
"Environment -> AnchorDocking" :: "Desktop -> AnchorDocking"
Why: just to make sure people understand that these settings are saved
in the Desktop and change when Desktop is changed and that they are not
IDE-wide.

3.) User-configurable options (from IDE Options) will be always auto
saved just like all other options are. The "auto save" setting from
Desktop Manager will affect only window layout that is not manually
configurable.

Ondrej