[Lazarus] Question about modal forms behaviour under windows

zeljko zeljko at holobit.net
Mon Feb 8 10:46:20 CET 2016

On 02/08/2016 10:26 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2016-02-08 08:02, zeljko wrote:
>> X11: Minimizing modal form minimizes complete application. (qt, gtk2)
>
> Well, under X11 it is hard to find an application with a modal dialog to
> start with. Modal dialogs are considered very bad design (read the book
> "About Face 4th edition"). With every application I tested, there simply
> wasn't a minimize button to click, only a "X" (close) button.
>
> Under Windows, modal dialogs are much more common (about the only
> platform where that is true). In all cases, the modal dialog (like X11)
> doesn't have a minimize or maximize button, only a "x" (close) button.

Actually, LCL applications (Delphi also) CAN HAVE minimize button on
modal form, so that's exact point of my question.
Simplified what to do:

1.Leave it as it is - minimized modal form does not minimize app (pretty
bad, since you cannot access desktop if your mainform is maximized)

2.Change default behaviour - minimized modal form minimizes complete
app. I like how it works under X11 .... eg minimizing Lazarus About
dialog under KDE kwin, minimizes complete app, clicking on app in tray,
restores app.

zeljko