[Lazarus] non Unicodode application

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 14:57:23 CET 2016

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 3:42 PM, Kostas Michalopoulos
<badsectoracula at gmail.com> wrote:
> is it possible for now and the foreseeable future to have FPC (3.0+, not
> just 2.x) make the "string" type (not rawbytestring or anything else) behave
> as it was behaving always since the beginning of time without any source
> code changes but (say) via some compiler argument?

No. "String" type triggers conversion of dynamic encoding when needed.
RawByteString does not.
I am surprised you didn't know it. The topic was discussed in FPC
mailing lists again and again for many years.
And yes, often the same arguments were repeated by the same person who
started this thread.

> I suppose it is worth to have something like this avoid breaking code that
> exists out there (some might consider it as already broken, but for many if
> it works - especially if it worked for years - it isn't broken and IMO that
> is a valid stance to take).

For old code that is in maintenance mode, a valid option is to use FPC 2.6.4.
For actively developed new code the dynamic string encoding conversion
is a huge improvement.

Juha