[Lazarus] non Unicodode application

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 15:54:01 CET 2016

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de> wrote:
> Now a friend of mine is faced by a similar task. But here he wants to keep a
> (small) GUI and he does not want to go for Linux but for 64 Bit.

Both Delphi and FPC now support 64-bit. I don't know how that relates
to dynamic String encoding.

> But the challenge is rather similar, and again there *might* be hope to convert
> a professional application and programmer team from Delphi to Lazarus.

Sure there is hope. See the new UTF-8 support:
  http://wiki.freepascal.org/Better_Unicode_Support_in_Lazarus

The only problem comes if you depend on Windows system codepage a lot.
That's why there is :
  http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_with_FPC3.0_without_UTF-8_mode
Note: Even there FPC 3.0 still has the dynamic string encoding but it
is still useful.

Juha