[Lazarus] non Unicodode application

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Feb 12 16:53:12 CET 2016

On 02/12/2016 03:55 PM, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> True, although the wording might be misleading.
> FPC 3.0+ does not arbitrarily change encoding of strings.
> That's why the LCL can use UTF-8 in AnsiStrings even without the new
> UTF-8 mode.
> It then works pretty similar to FPC 2.6.4.

This is exactly what I seemed to remember from multiple discussions in
multiple forums, and this is why I recommended my friend to take a look
at Lazarus/FPC.

> the LCL *can* use UTF-8
How to set it to do so ? (I may be able guess, but as I said I am asking
for a pal who is rather new to Lazarus/FPC, so explicit pointers are
appreciated. ...)

> even without the new UTF-8 mode.
How to set this mode  when compiling with Lazarus  ?
What mode do you think is more appropriate when most work is done on
strings that just have no or an unknown encoding ?

Thanks a lot !
-Michael