[Lazarus] Lazarus on my ancient computer?

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Sun Feb 14 16:34:11 CET 2016

Il 14/02/2016 15:14, Bart ha scritto:
> As for WM's: I'm used to KDE, but that might probably be a bit too
> heavy fo this old beast, so I don't mind experimenting with another,
> more light weight, one.
> That being said, the OS should come with GTK2 (and maybe QT) libraries
> in order to have a functional Lazarus.

For OS I'd encourage you to CentOs 6. It provides long term support,
with a life span of 10 years.
IMHO CentOs 7 is too young, and has still a lot of things to be ironed
out. It is rpm based, which might be handy if you're used to rpm as
opposed to deb. Other distros change too frequently, and force you to
upgrade the full system instead of just updating what needs updates.

But, whichever OS you decide to pick up, if you're used to KDE, you
might consider TDE as WM.

It's nothing but the old faithful KDE 3.5 (which I've been happily
running in a hardware setup similar to the one you mention) ported to
the more recent distros, by a group of former KDE developers and
maintainers, unhappy with the road taken by KDE 4 (and now KDE 5),
which, with the "Plasma" and "plasmoids" things has become too heavy,
bloated, and buggy beyond hope.

See:
https://www.trinitydesktop.org/

Giuliano