[Lazarus] Keys not recognized by Lazarus 1.6 code editor

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Feb 24 18:59:01 CET 2016

Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 15:40:15 +0000, Graeme Geldenhuys
> <mailinglists at geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 2016-02-24 15:33, Bo Berglund wrote:
>>> Or understand how the Raspbian desktop would land on the Win7 X
>>> screen. :(
>> As far as I know you do get a X Server implementation for Windows too.
>> You would simply start that up, use Putty to SSH (with X11 port
>> forwarding enabled) to the RPi, and run the Lazarus executable on the
>> RPi. The Lazarus IDE should then appear on your Windows desktop.
>> Obviously things like "File - Open..." will display the content on the
>> RPi and not your Windows system - but that is normally desired anyway. ;-)
>>
>> At least the above is how it works between my X11 based systems.
>>
>> Regards,
>>  - Graeme -
>
> I found this tutorial on how to use XMing with RPi:
> http://www.raspians.com/Knowledgebase/how-to-remote-desktop-with-xming-and-putty/
>
> It is a bit roundabout, occupying the console connection via PuTTY,
> but it did work to bring up some form of X window on my screen.
> The displayed RPi desktop

Stop right there. What you're describing there is doing a remote X11
login to the display manager [qv] running on the RPi, which starts off a
window manager [qv]. The window manager supplied as default by Raspbian
assumes that it's running on an RPi, and won't like being accessed over
the LAN from XMing which is fairly old code and lacks stuff added
comparatively recently to X11.

WITH THE IMPORTANT CAVEAT THAT I'VE NOT DONE THIS MYSELF ON WINDOWS:

What you should be doing is making sure that your SSH client (Putty or
whatever) is set up to tunnel X11 sessions, and that the SSH server on
the RPi is set up to make them available (it is on most distreaux).

Then SSH into the RPi to get a shell, and run your Lazarus binary. At
that point the X11 messages originated by Lazarus are tunneled over the
SSH session, and the Lazarus windows/forms /should/ (if Putty+XMing
really does behave like SSH etc. does on unix) appear as separate
windows on your client system. What's more, /if/ things are working
properly, then cut-and-paste should work.

AGAIN, THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS ON UNIX. MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT THE
COMBINATION OF PUTTY AND XMING SHOULD GIVE YOU SOMETHING COMPARABLE ON
WINDOWS, BUT I'VE NOT DONE IT MYSELF.

With apologies to the list managers if this is considered off-topic.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk