[Lazarus] Feature Request: hide button text in windows with toolbars

Thu Feb 25 17:50:13 CET 2016

On 2016-02-25 16:36, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
> The best would be to avoid all these toolbars and
> use on demand popup (text) lists where I can select from.

As Michael mentioned... in other words, a Menu. ;-)

I do actually agree that the images don't often mean much. My idea is to
have both icons and text shown on such toolbars. Once you are familiar
with there functionality (and if you use the IDE daily as your job - it
should be soon), then disable the text. In the case that you forgot what
a toolbar button (image only) means, the tooltip will come to your
rescue in 0.5 seconds.

In normal terms I would say text makes more sense (hence I have images
disabled in Lazarus's menu items), but for the toolbars I'm talking
about, the text takes up too much space.

As for dropping the toolbars completely in such ide windows, and using a
popup menu (eg: via a "hamburger" [☰] icon) instead.... I would actually
like that very much.  A right-click menu might be problematic (hence my
suggestion of a ☰ icon), because such popup menus are often context
sensitive. eg: In the Project Group window, if you right-click on the
treeview, you don't get the same options as the toolbar.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/