[Lazarus] Lazarus on my ancient computer?

Bart bartjunk64 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 15:26:31 CET 2016

Hi,

On 2/14/16, Bart <bartjunk64 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a bit off-topic.
>
> I have an ancient computer: Intel Celeron 700Mhz, 512MB RAM, 20GB IDE HD.
> (http://flyingsheep.nl/computer_nostalgie.htm#celeron700)
> (Hardware upgrades are not in the picture.)

Thanks to all for the give advice.
In the end I have installed Debian 8.3.0 XFCE on my geriatric system.
(I tested some other systems, but their installers just froze.)

It's up and running.
It feels rather slower than Suse 10.0 though.

I managed to install fpc 3.0 (from install script, did not install from .deb)
I managed to build Lazarus from svn.
That took some 30 minutes, and at one time I thought the system had
frozen, but it was just the linker taking ages (and probably being
very memory hungry).
I dealt with the infamous "crti.o not found" message.

As we speak I'm typing this in Iceweasel!

Bye for now.

Bart