[Lazarus] Lazarus compile project via ssh?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 13:22:39 CET 2016

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 09:41:37 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

>As previously discussed, VNC is broken in many areas and it's unclear
>how much this is fixable since newer versions aren't open source:
>there's been no significant work done on it for something like ten
>years. If you want to run Lazarus remotely then tunnel it over SSH.

Hi Mark,
yes I have seen several times such suggestions and yet I have no idea
how to accomplish such a tunneling....
How could the Lazarus GUI appear in my Windows machine over SSH when
Lazarus is running on a Raspberry Pi2? There must be some software
running on the Windows box to accomplish that, right?

I have tried to find various solutions such as an X client on Windows
(or is it a server?) to display the desktop of RPi, but it seems like
these are extremely difficult to install and are also not opensource.
In any case after I installed one of the available X thingies on my
Win7 PC I was totally unable to understand how to make it connect to
the RPi, so I gave up and uninstalled it.

TightVNC OTOH worked right out of the box so that is what I continue
to use now, with the limitations.

But then again X is probably not SSH either. The only SSH client I use
(but I use it a lot) is PuTTY, through which I do all of my install
chores on the Pi devices. But that is not a desktop GUI, only a
terminal connection.

My clipboard problems have mainly focused on copying lines of code
from Lazarus into my newsreader on Windows so I could ask questions
regarding coding. So the need varies with programming activity (now is
a low activity time what with the holidays and a trip to Gran Canaria
etc).

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden