[Lazarus] Lazarus database desktop improvements...

Bob B. parkingspace26 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 5 01:18:19 CET 2016

Which DBF versions are supported by the desktop?    dBase 3?
    dBase 4?
    clipper?
    foxPro?
    visual foxPro?

thanks.
Bob B.

    On Saturday, January 2, 2016 5:08 AM, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

Hello,

Following some recent criticism on the Lazarus database desktop:

I have, in revision 51118, added a new interface to the database desktop,
which is hopefully more in line with what current trends are, and which is
considered more intuitive.
(being 45, I realize I am old school, so please bear with me)

The connections/dictionaries are shown at the left in a tree, which is
always visible.
I have added some icons in various places.
(probably horrible looking, but then so am I after the recent festivities ;) )

There is also a button to start a new connection.

It is not yet finished.
Some ideas that still must be done; I'll probably work on some of them today.
- treeview should be read-only, but when I activated that, the tree just
- disappeared ?
  Needs investigating.
- Add a context menu to new tree view. Should be easily done.
- Add a 'Test connection' button to the new connection dialog.

The old legacy interface can still be activated using a new menu setting in
the 'View' menu.

All this just to show that it really isn't that hard to do, we're open for criticism,
and we'd really like people to use and like the tools we provide with Lazarus.
If they like the start, maybe they will be more likely to send patches and improve
the tools even more.

I invite people to test and to give comments, patches, suggestions.

Michael.