[Lazarus] Do we really need a PaintSwastika procedure?

Bart bartjunk64 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 16:31:04 CET 2016

On 1/6/16, Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff at web.de> wrote:

>> Do we really need this procedure in the lcl? I think it should probably
>> be
>> removed.
>
> Additionally to Micheals answer:
>
> Please don't be foolish. Would you want to dispel any star symbol
> because the soviet union, satanists and northern korea use(d) a red
> star?  This would put the question on "PaintCross" and some more.
>
> One could demand to remove any religious reference, then the name would
> have to be changed. Or to filter out any bad words when printing text,
> censorship that is.

While I agree a similar argument can be made for anything that offends
people there are some differences here.

First f all. Taking offence against a  cross (because of religious
beleives) is not of the same order as taking offence against the
symbol of the Nazi's.
While I am willing to defend each and everyone's freedom of speech,
IMO this does not imply that we (the Lazarus community) should
actively support speading such logo's.
(Nor should we e.g. support bashing of any religion/race etc in our
sourcecode or comments.)

As for the "its an ancient rune" argument: the same thing can be said
for several phrases that now are considered to be offending to e.g.
ethnic groups, and we do not promote these her as well.
Current state is that the Swastika now has very strong associations
witj the Nazi regime and all the evil it stood for.

So, yes, IMVPAPO, it should be removed.

NB. The function was apparently introduced by Seppo (over 9 years ago)

Bart