[Lazarus] New menu designer

Howard hdpc at talktalk.net
Tue Jan 12 15:26:59 CET 2016

On 12/01/2016 13:44, Péter Gábor wrote:
> Please use complete sentences as much as possible and avoid storing > of partial sentences in resourcestrings. I mean don't compose >
complete sentences in run/compile time from words or partial >
sentences. Such resourcestrings makes localization harder or >
completely impossible in languages that have different grammar: word >
order, system of prefixes/suffixes, agglutination, inflection, and >
other things that I can't imagine. > An example of how NOT to fragment
sentences: msgid "<no shortcut > conflicts%s" msgid " remain>" msgid "
to resolve>" Also fragments can > have different meaning and
translations depending on that they are > used combined or not.

OK, point taken. I will amend the offending resourcestrings in a patch.
I'm not a linguist nor a translator, so did not appreciate that this
would cause difficulty.
My motive was simply to reduce the overall number of resourcestrings
required by reuse of phrase "atoms", which I see now works
satisfactorily only if a single language is ever employed.

Howard