[Lazarus] FileExistsUTF8 and long paths

Bart bartjunk64 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 15:39:11 CET 2016

On 1/17/16, Jürgen Hestermann <juergen.hestermann at gmx.de> wrote:

>  > AFACS it cannot be resolved/fixed in a manner that will not break
>  > backwards compatibility.
>
> I think it is possible (see above).
> You only need to find out the exact limitations and detect them before
> adding \\?\

Only if we decide to _always_ try that (under specified circumstances).
If not it will be an optional parameter and the function then will
have a different signature, which will be incompatible with existing
programs using it as a function variable.

>> Further more: this is not something that belongs to Lazarus, but to fpc.

> I am not sure. I thought FileExistsUTF8 is part of Lazarus, not Free Pascal.

The only difference between File* and File*UTF8 functions
(fpc<->Lazarus) is that the UTF8 versions were/are able to handle any
unicodecharacter inside the given path/filename (regardless of you
current Windows codepage).
Otherwise it does not behave different compared to the fpc File*
functions, nor should it.

Bart