[Lazarus] Testing Unicode and Windows system codepage in Lazarus 1.6

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Sun Jan 17 18:18:04 CET 2016

Am 2016-01-17 um 15:19 schrieb Juha Manninen:
 > I don't understand how DisableUTF8RTL bombs your system because it is
 > the backwards compatible thing.
 > If your system worked with FPC 2.6.4, it should work with FPC 3.0 +
 > DisableUTF8RTL.

Yes, you are right.
DisableUTF8RTL resets *some* of the changes (those related to the API interface)
and does not harm functions that already used the Win API directly.

But as one example, since FPC 3.0 you cannot use UTF8Delete on UTF8Strings anymore.
This requires changes to existing programs that cannot be avoided by a compiler switch.
Not everybody is prepared to invest this time just now.

This is no criticism of the good work that has been done to finally
make the long overdue step to codepage-aware strings.
Still everybody should also be aware that this is a radical change in
the already complicated area of string handling and due to its complexity
many FPC users experience these changes as a burden in the first place.
On the long term it was unavoidable of course but just now it generates frustration.

 > Excuse me! Are you really saying I have not helped with the Unicode issues?

No, that's not what I said.
But if you got fed up with all these questions about unicode
it would be better to ignore some of the mails that bother you
instead of increasing the frustration of others by telling them
they are just too lazy (or dumb) to read (and understand) some wikis.