[Lazarus] Web vs desktop development

Santiago A. svaa at ciberpiula.net
Mon Jan 18 10:48:53 CET 2016

El 15/01/2016 a las 18:29, Anthony Walter escribió:
> On a programming web forum someone said regarding Lazarus:
>
> On just cursory review, looks compelling. However, I get so little
> call these days for native/desktop applications. Seems everyone wants
> web now.

I posted a message time ago in this forum "The future of desktop".

It is a problem of portable GUI. Years ago GUI = Windows GUI, now it's
not true any more. Even in windows there are incompatibilities with
previous versions (i.e. fonts size make w95 forms not fitting in W10).
GUI has become a moving target.

Do you want to make an application portable everywhere? You can't rely
in anything. Your best bet is web. Every device/SO IOs, Android, QT 3,
QT 4, Gtk 1,Gtk 2,  Windows 95, Windows 10, Mac.... all have a browser
with a standard protocol.

Web is not what I like, but it has become the standard GUI "de facto".
Web was a displaying document protocol, it has been patched (cookies,
javascript, websockets....) to make a GUI of it. We needed so
desperately remote GUI, that we created such Frankenstein from the
pieces we had.

But, as a patched GUI protocol, is a nightmare programming for it.
Nevertheless, until someone comes with something better, here we are. It
is not difficult to make something better than Web, the problem is
getting it accepted as a standard.

--
Saludos

Santi