[Lazarus] Debugging in Libraries.

Donald Ziesig donald at ziesig.org
Mon Jan 18 21:51:40 CET 2016

On 01/18/2016 03:13 PM, Martin Frb wrote:
> On 18/01/2016 18:34, Donald Ziesig wrote:
>> Hi All:
>>
>> I have encountered a problem doing things that used to work. (Using
>> Lazarus 1.4.4 on Linux and 1.4.2 on Raspbian)
>>
>> Specifically, I can no longer step into subprograms in library units,
>> and when I set a breakpoint in the library code it is colored dull
>> green as opposed to bright red in the main program. Some, but not
>> all, of the library code is implemented using generics.
>>
>> I can't see anything I am doing differently than before (except that
>> I copied the entire source for the program and library from a
>> Raspberry PI, including the configurations.  The PI also had this
>> problem).
>
> Dull green, usually (check debug output window) means that gdb
> returned, that there is on code on the requested line/number.
will do.

> With generics, usually the oposite is the case, there are several
> blocks of code containing the location (and on windows, I have seen
> gdb handling that, at least in some cases).

come to think of it, IIRC gdb handled generics in windows, but that was
back on Lazarus 1.0.  I have been working exclusively on Linux and
Raspbian for the past 2 years.

> The question then is, if fpc did generate sufficient debug info or if
> gdb has an issue.  (try stabs and dwarf)

will do.
Forgot to mention that gdb itself occasionally crashes when working
around this code!

> ensure you disable "inlining"

where?

> --

Martin,

Thanks for the pointers.

  I discovered something since I wrote the last email:  gdb works
(except for occasional failures in generics) if I compile the whole
thing (Run | Cleanup and Build ...) in Linux.  Lazarus itself is
protected so I have to skip the errors.   (I just upgraded this laptop
to an SSD so the Cleanup and Build runs faster than just-plain Compile
on the original HDD ... Yippy!!!).  I haven't tried it on Raspbian yet.

Don