[Lazarus] How to install LNet package in Lazarus 1.6RC2?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 17:22:51 CET 2016

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 15:19:42 +0100, Mattias Gaertner
<nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 14:29:14 +0100
>Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>[...]
>> 2) Next I am supposed to open the lnetvisual.lpk package file in
>> Lazarus "Component/Open", but there is no such "Component" menu
>> command in my Lazarus!
>> The closest I get is "Package/Open package file", so I tried that.
>
>Yes. It was renamed some years ago. I updated the wiki.
>

>> 3) Next step is "Click on Install", but there exists no such button or
>> function!
>
>It's under "Use".

Thanks,
what I did meanwhile was this:

- Clicked the Compile button
- Nothing seemed to happen so:
- I clicked the Use/Install function
- Then it said something about already busy or similar
- Still there appeared to be nothing going on, but I went for
afternoon tea
- Came back and saw nothing changed so I assumed the Compile part was
done and again activated Use/Install.
- But as before there is no indication that something is actually
going on....
- It would be nice with a status message "Building package -
Rebuilding Lazarus - Done"

While writing this post I suddenly saw some blinkings happening on the
background window  where VNC shows my RPi2 desktop, so I had a look
and it looks exactly as when I left off.
However, I now have an lNet tab on my component palette!

Question:
Is there supposed to be some indication towards the user that
something is going on when a package is being compiled or installed?
If not then I suggest that it is added to Lazarus.

If thers is a message then I certainly saw nothing, so could it be
platform dependent (Raspberry Pi2/Raspbian Jessie in my case) or
display dependent (tightvnc server on RPi2 and VNC client on Win7
laptop)?

I installed FPC 3.0.0 and Lazarus 1.6RC2 from svn sources.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden