[Lazarus] date function db_date();

Larry Dalton larrydalton71 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 14:21:11 CEST 2016

I use the following function to read a date from a Libre Office dbase file. The field is stored as
a string, ie '04/08/2016'.

function db_date(const dog_base:tdbf;const t_field:string):tdatetime;
var test_date:tdatetime;
test_bool:boolean;
test_string:string;
begin {starts function db_date(const dog_base:tdbf;const t_field:string):tdatetime;}
test_bool:=dog_base.FieldByName(t_field).Value<>null;
if test_bool then test_date:=dog_base.FieldByName(t_field).AsDateTime
else test_date:=now;
result:=test_date;
end; {ends function db_date(const dog_base:tdbf;const t_field:string):tdatetime;}
I am running lazarus 1.6, on both Windows 8 and Linux Mint 17. The above function works fine on the Windows 8 box, but on the Linux Mint box, I get the following error: “04/08/2016” is not a valid date format. Why does it work on Windows but not Linux? How can I rewrite it to work on both?