[Lazarus] GTK 3.0

zeljko zeljko at holobit.net
Tue Jul 12 09:18:21 CEST 2016

On 07/12/2016 04:11 AM, Kostas Michalopoulos wrote:
> Sadly the GTK+ devs do not seem to care much about backwards
> compatibility and love to break stuff every other version.
>
> Check this blog post which summarizes the issues
> https://davmac.wordpress.com/2016/07/05/why-do-we-keep-building-rotten-foundations/
>
> IMO GTK+ 2 is the last good GTK+ version and hopefully someone (maybe
> the MATE devs) will fork it and add support for the needed stuff. GTK+
> 3.0+ is not reliable.

I knew about it (not about exact blog, but about abi/api mess) and
that's main reason why I do not have enough faith to work on gtk3
bindings. Even gtk2 had ridiculous code in some cases (besides this
ABI/API gtk3 changes). Just one simple example of gtk philosophy - look
at GtkEntry class and ability to add icon into GtkEntry
(gtk_entry_set_icon_xxxx since 2.16). eg. in Qt/WinAPI you can add any
handle inside text editor (eg. QPushButton under Qt), but under gtk
you're stucked to gdkpixbuf.
I really don't know what kind of drugs gtk devels are using.

zeljko