[Lazarus] Again an UTF8 mess!

Ondrej Pokorny lazarus at kluug.net
Wed Jul 13 12:22:06 CEST 2016

On 13.07.2016 11:57, Giuliano Colla wrote:
> Compiling under Lazarus trunk applications which were written under
> Lazarus 1.4.x, I find a lot of unresolved symbols. All the xxxUTF8
> procedures in fileutil such as FileExistsUTF8, FileOpenUTF8
> GetEnvironmentVariableUTF8 etc have disappeared. They are hidden
> behind an $IFDEF EnableWrapperFunctions. By the way those procedures
> were generated by the conversion of Delphi code under Lazarus 1.4.
>
> I understand that  the widestring manager is not needed in most cases,
> and therefore those functions are pretty much useless outside Windows,
> (they have always been btw?) but an $ELSE clause preserving the names,
> and redirecting as appropriate, would be the only acceptable solution
> by an end user POV.
>
> FPC goes to one extreme, keeping stone age old constructs to maintain
> compatibility with the source code of TP, Lazarus should at least
> attempt to keep source code compatibility within 1.x!
>
> End of rant.

If you read the information after the deprecated key word at every
function, you would get to know that those units have been moved to
LazFileUtils or LazUTF8 units.

Note: we need an incompatibility information about it in
http://wiki.freepascal.org/index.php?title=Lazarus_1.8.0_release_notes .
Juha, did you do this change?

Ondrej