[Lazarus] GTK 3.0

Santiago A. svaa at ciberpiula.net
Wed Jul 13 12:32:25 CEST 2016

El 12/07/2016 a las 13:54, Juha Manninen escribió:
> 1. Nice modern object oriented API which breaks sometimes to keep it clean.
> 2. Xlib and Win32 stable APIs for eternity.
>
> I choose option number 1.
I choose 1 also, me and everybody. Supporting backward compatiblity is a
burden and sometimes you have to leave it behind to evolve. The
discussion is what means "sometimes", once each 20 years? Software for
Win95 still works in Win10, or once each 6 months? Like GTK.

In the link it's said that themes for Gtk 3.18 don't work properly in
3.20. Not even a mayor version. And it is not an bug, but a feature.
That's crazy.

And now, Gtk developers promise six months incompatibility and a dozen
of versions running up and down. The work like if they were maintaining
a final software, like LibreOffice, not Library. That's crazy, I would
like to see them programming if XWindows were protocol that changed each
six months.

Let me put it this way, until they reach a stable version for a long
time (5-10 years), this is will be a mess and people (and so distros)
will stick on old versions. If they plan to never reach a stable
version, people will stick on very old versions, and eventually they
will move to another more modern tool, and that more modern tool won't
be that week's GTK version. (People is already talking about QT)

--
Saludos

Santiago A.