[Lazarus] GTK 3.0

Wed Jul 13 18:13:43 CEST 2016

On 2016-07-13 16:54, Gabor Boros wrote:

> How can I try it?

The following wiki page should explain it well:

  http://wiki.freepascal.org/fpGUI_Interface

Create a new LCL application. Drop a TButton and TEdit on the form. Go
to Project Options -> Compiler Options. Then depending on your version
of Lazarus IDE, look in “Additions and Overrides” and set the
LCLWidgetType to “fpgui”.

WARNING:
  Don't drop a TLabel on the test application, that will cause it to AV
at runtime. TLabel might look simple, but according to LCL it is quite
complex to implement and is not yet done for LCL-fpGUI.

> Which is the good direction for concentrate the available resources
> (manpower) Qt5 or fpGUI. Graeme certainly say fpGUI. :D Others?

My theory was always that LCL-fpGUI (or any other custom drawn toolkit)
should become the reference implementation for LCL. Why? Because it is
100% cross-platform, custom drawn and implemented in Object Pascal - it
can support any LCL feature on all target OSes. Whereas with other LCL
widgetsets, there are plenty of platform specific limitations. See the
"Restricted" tab in the Object Inspector to see what I mean. I think
there are others listed on the wiki too.

fpGUI is also the least resource intensive GUI toolkit that LCL
supports, and with no extra [huge] libraries needed. This makes
compiling, linking and deployment the least painful of the bunch. For
example… just take a look at all the GTK2 and Qt *.so files and then
include whatever 3rd party libraries they depend on. The list is massive!

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/