[Lazarus] GTK 3.0

Maxim Ganetsky ganmax at narod.ru
Sat Jul 16 13:00:08 CEST 2016

16.07.2016 12:20, Joost van der Sluis пишет:
> Op 12-07-16 om 09:18 schreef zeljko:
>> I really don't know what kind of drugs gtk devels are using.
>
> I think they are recovering from their drug-addiction right now.

It seems they just changed supplier. ;)

> Seems that some gtk-developers where on a hackathon where they discussed
> the instability-issues. And the fact that they don't like the situation
> that most gtk-applications still use gtk-2. (Gimp, Inkscape, Geany, etc,
> etc) So they came with a proposal and posted it online...
>
> But - maybe - they had a little bit too much beer when they wrote it,
> with the result that no-one understood what they really meant. The blog
> above being one of the reactions.
>
> But it is still a proposal, in the mean time discussed and improved a lot.
>
> As it looks now, they will define 3.26 stable. Not 'just-a-little-bit'
> stable, but really stable. To be able to move forward, they will release
> 4.0. This version won't be stable until it reaches (by approximation)
> version 4.6. Then this will be the stable version (alongside 3.26) and
> they will start working on version 5.0...
>
> This way you can choose as a developer to use the stable versions (3.26
> -> 4.6 -> 5.X) or you can use the unstable versions, which could break
> compatibility every half year.

And stable releases will break every 2 years. ;) Stable API? Forget
about it (nobody made any promises).

> So for Lazarus it seems like we can finally do some serious work on the
> gtk3-port targeting 3.26 which will be stable for at least a few years.
>

> More info, see among others:
> https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK%2B/Lifecycle

This is just an example of how premature blog posts about half-baked
proposals made a PR disaster out of nothing.

Personally I hope that everything will be good. We need GTK3 widgetset.

--
Best regards,
  Maxim Ganetsky                  mailto:ganmax at narod.ru