[Lazarus] GTK 3.0

Santiago A. svaa at ciberpiula.net
Sat Jul 16 13:37:35 CEST 2016

El 16/07/2016 a las 13:11, Joost van der Sluis escribió:
> Op 16-07-16 om 13:00 schreef Maxim Ganetsky:
>>>
>>> This way you can choose as a developer to use the stable versions (3.26
>>> -> 4.6 -> 5.X) or you can use the unstable versions, which could break
>>> compatibility every half year.
>>
>> And stable releases will break every 2 years. ;) Stable API? Forget
>> about it (nobody made any promises).
>
> Not exactly. They will introduce a new stable release every two years.
>
> But you can keep using the older stable releases if you want. All
> major releases can be used parallel to each other. Like now is done
> with 2 and three, in the future also 4 and 5.
> They think they will support a stable release for about 5 years, but
> could be longer, like they do now with gtk2.

People will stick on GTK2. And maybe after a some years in GTK3.
People doesn't want to re-write their application. I don't think Gimp
will be re-written for GTK3, and if it's re-written for GTK3 someday, it
won't be re-written for GTK4 and latter for GTK5.

They are killing Gnome and GTK.

As I said in other message, What would GTK boys do if Xlib would rewrite
its specification? They would have to dump GTK2, GTK3 and write quickly
a new version. What if Xlib changed its specifications each two years?.

They are developers doing what they like, writing software once and once
again to reach perfection, paying attention to nothing else. But that's
not a program, that's a Library. What they are purposing is to let
specifications in a permanent alpha state. And the result will be that
no one will use it.

--
Saludos

Santiago A.