[Lazarus] Quick Modern Object Pascal Introduction, for Programmers

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 01:30:04 CEST 2016

> I have also an introduction  on Object Pascal section on my site
>
> http://www.trustfm.net/ebooks/ObjectPascal.php
>
> but i had never time to finish it :S

I like it! - but without the 1st part, "Introduction"... I would not
advice using CodeTyphon, as I had very bad experience with the quality
of their stuff. I would much rather advice users to just install
Lazarus straight from http://www.lazarus-ide.org/ .

Also, as a Linux user, the instructions to modify the "sudoers" (to
never ask for password), and then run the CodeTyphon with "sudo" are
kind of a show-stopper. Running with "sudo" is something you should
never do with an IDE... And it's certainly absolutely not required for
vanilla FPC or Lazarus.

That said, the rest of the book starts really good! You describe using
Lazarus for a "Hello world" GUI programs, which is a cool approach, to
quickly show new users that they can do fancy GUI trivially easy with
Pascal. And presented with screenshots and basic code samples that
should get anyone started. Then you have a nice description of the
language.

So, might I make a suggestion: how about just making the "Hello World"
part the 1st one, not the 2nd? And just start it with a simple
paragraph

"""
Install Lazarus from http://www.lazarus-ide.org/ . Alternatively, you
can install CodeTyphon (link to existing installation instructions
here).
"""

That would make it simpler (faster start into actual coding), and also
don't scare off Linux users with instructions about "sudo":)

Regards,
Michalis