[Lazarus] Microsoft SQL Server coming to Linux

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Mar 8 09:58:20 CET 2016

On Tue, 8 Mar 2016, Anthony Walter wrote:

> For those of you using Linux with interest in database development here is
> some news for you:
>
> Microsoft SQL Server will soon be officially supported on Linux.
>
> https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2016/03/07/announcing-sql-server-on-linux/
>
> Microsoft Executive Vide President Scott Gu has been coordinating with Mark
> Shuttleworth (Ubuntu owner and head of Canonical) to make this happen.
>
> For me this is great news. Microsoft SQL Server is a robust RMDB system
> with superior performance capable of great scale. Transact SQL (the
> Microsoft SQL Server dialect) also has many powerful and useful features.
> Good news all around.

Well, that depends highly on your point of view :)
My point of view is that the sooner Microsoft is bancrupted the better...

And I beg to differ on a second account:
E.g. PostGreSQL is a way better/faster database than SQL Server.
Not to mention it costs you nothing.

Just to say that these are highly subjective views...

Michael.