[Lazarus] Ann: class code creation

Reimar Grabowski reimgrab at web.de
Tue Mar 8 14:05:18 CET 2016

On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 10:13:22 +0100
Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 09:49:45 +0100 (CET)
> Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>
> >[...]
> > No, this kind of behaviour is very confusing
for me.

See, fixed that for you.
Because at least I and Jesus do not think so. It is common behavior on touch devices ('long click').
Give some visual clue (a little (animated) icon on the identifier when the key combination is held for example), document it and you are good to go.
On this and the fpc list it is often said that lazarus/fpc are tools for programmers and a little more can be expected of them than of the general user.
'Long click' is a well known and often used UI concept, so you should be able to transfer your knowledge of the virtual keyboard of your phone to the real keyboard in front of your monitor.

> > Then better 2 shortcut keys:
> > ctrl-shift-X = create using default set in options.
> > ctrl-alt-X or ctrl-shift-alt-X = create and force dialog.
> > Or something similar.
>
> +1
-1

> One for less interactive and one for more interactive.
> Many code completions can be enhanced with dialogs.
Then these short-cuts must follow a general rule or it just gets overwhelming.
For example always 'alt' as additional key:
ctrl-shift-x -> ctrl-shift-alt-x
ctrl-shift-space -> ctrl-shift-alt-space
etc.

(btw those are some ugly short-cuts)

> Or a flag button (e.g. speedbutton) to enable/disable the interactivity.
Which must be easy to enable and disable by keyboard and even then it's a hassle if you have to switch it often.

I like Jesus' idea the most.
The same short-cut for the same function is very consistent.
It is a well known UI concept.
Switching IDEs often it is always better for me to have to memorize less and not more short-cuts.
Lazarus already has quite a lot of keyboard-short-cuts.
You could also implement a keyboard-short-cut 'double click' to get to the dialog and 'single click' to complete directly (or the other way round) but I like the
'long click' more and this would most likely be also deemed confusing.

R.