[Lazarus] Raspberry Pi 3 build issues

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Mar 25 11:19:22 CET 2016

Bo Berglund wrote:

>> It should be noted that the default swap file size of Raspbian is only
>> 100MB which combined with a possible GPU memory settings will occasionally
>> cause Lazarus builds to fail mysteriously.
>
> I originally had instructions for usage that specifically increased
> swap to 1000MB to get around this issue. But a forum user repeatedly
> claimed it was not necessary so I took tha part out and it does work
> on the RPi3 at least when I tried. Afetr all it has more RAM.
> But I agree that having bigger swap might not hurt anyway.

You'll generally need something like 512Mb of available memory, i.e. RAM
+ swap, with the linker in particular benefiting from extra. Around
here, I'm being firmly discouraged (by other colleagues with an
electronics background) from putting swap on the card, but instead
putting it on an external USB device with wear levelling.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk