[Lazarus] Feature Request: Insert {codepage UTF8} per default

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 10:13:36 CEST 2016

No, originally we had -FcUTF8 set by default but it caused more problems.
See:
  http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=30022

> In the most cases the string magic works without a defined {$codepage utf8},
> but not if you want to assign a const to a Predefined String or Unicodestring.

I don't know what is a a Predefined String but assigning a const to
Unicodestring can be seen as a special case and then a programmer can
take special actions (add {$codepage utf8} himself).

Leaving out {$codepage utf8} is the most backwards compatible way, and
the operation is most intuitive.
With Unicodestring we don't need to care about backwards compatibility
really because it is so new type.
What more, Unicodestring is not needed often when using our new Unicode system.

Juha