[Lazarus] Flexible exporter for grid-like components

Sat May 7 01:24:04 CEST 2016

On 2016-05-01 20:34, Werner Pamler wrote:
> TStringGrid provides the methods SaveToCSVFile/Stream for saving the
> grid content to a csv file or stream. This is very convenient for users,
> but it is not very flexible: The export works only for the csv data
> format, no html, no possibility to plug in other formats.

And this is why I think it is crazy that the Lazarus developers went
that route. Plus, why is the Grid now burdened with file and
exporting/importing functionality. They should have kept those
functionalities separate. The same applies for populating a grid from a
data file (csv, xml, json etc). And that’s exactly what I did in fpGUI -
separate functionality, thus separate classes and units.

I think your idea is definitely a step in the right direction. The
TStringGrid’s SaveToCSVxxx and LoadFromCSVxxx methods should also be
marked deprecated and after one release be removed - replaced by
something like what you created.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/