[Lazarus] FPC on Rpi3 executable module sizes

Sascha Hestermann Sascha.Hestermann at gmx.de
Tue Nov 1 13:06:52 CET 2016

Am 30.10.2016 um 18:32 schrieb Ken Kashmarek via Lazarus:
> On the RPi3, goes up to over 400K in size.  If 3 items are in the uses line,
> the RPi3 executable exceeds 800K.
>
> This is clearly an error where each addition adds 200k (or more) the the
> executable file.  I do note however, that all 3 uses entries on Windows 7,
> brings the executable up to more than 240K (significantly smaller than the
> RPi3 install of FCP produces).

It seems that you are using Linux on your RPi3 and when I compile any
project on my Linux desktop box I get the following compiler message:
"Note: DWARF debug information cannot be used with smart linking on this
target, switching to static linking"
So even after stripping the debug symbols the size is significantly
larger because of the deactivated smart linking.

As far as I remember this happens with all of the possible debug formats
I can choose from. So to allow smart linking you probably have to
disable the generation of debug symbols completely. (Though I have never
used the RPi3 target, so I can only guess from using x86 Linux.)

By the way if you are using Lazarus, the compiler note is hidden by
default: Right click in the message window -> "Filter Hints without
Source Position"