[Lazarus] Help System with Chromium Embedded component

Lars noreply at z505.com
Tue Nov 8 03:27:44 CET 2016

On Sun, November 6, 2016 4:35 am, vfclists . via Lazarus wrote:
> On 24 October 2016 at 00:34, Lars via Lazarus
> <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org
>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Now that I think about my post about using chromium embedded for a help
>>  engine, the issue I see is that it's a large dependency .. so for
>> small applications that are say 1MB large, and you want to supply a help
>> system with it... all of a sudden the 1mb exe has to be shipped with a
>> gazillion other files that wouldn't be needed with a more simple format.
>>

>> Still, I think I will try to release a help system for powtils using
>> chromium embedded, as an offline experiment with CGI (no web server
>> needed). However this will take time, and I almost feel like I posted
>> that chromium idea drunk, even though I was not drinking.

>>> Both. The LaTeX-to-HTML conversion is definitely not great. Michael
>>> would agree on this one. Then taking that already bad HTML and
>>> converting in to CHM, makes the end result even worse. That doesn't do
>>> any justices for Michael's hard work in writing the documentation and
>>> having it beautifully presented (like the official PDF versions).
>> --
>>

> I think using CEF is fine as there don't seem to be any other realistic
> options. That is the situation as it is. Something which is likely to get
> more support is "more better" than a perfect but little used and little
> known system. A Lazarus installation currently takes over 1 Gb, so what
> difference does another 300Mb make to it when it is something as critical
>  as help?

I was speaking of a help system for any application, not just lazarus
alone... i.e. you build a 2mb exe and ship it to your customer (not
lazarus.exe but another exe built with lazarus)...

So now your elf/exe has to include a huge dependency... Chromium is not
just one dll. It would be ideal if it was only one dll, like mysqlite.

So if you build a 2-6mb app, now you have to ship yet more files
increasing the size further.

Maybe not a huge issue with todays high speed internet connections, but it
still is another dependency.